Handwritten technology.

Handwritten correspondence is a deep and valuable part of our human heritage. Most of all it does what it does, exceptionally well. The reason being that outside the delivery system, the entire process is completely in the hands of the persons corresponding. The second part is that a letter is the product of an integrated process of body, mind and soul of no one else except the two writers. All the subtle distinctions of expression, color, texture, form, materials, infirmity, passions, abilities, acts of ignorance, acts of caring; all the happen when we take our hearts and mind and pick up a piece of paper to try and communicate with another human just like ourselves.

The process is visceral, very little of it is abstract and the parts that are, are equally mediated by our own thoughts, feelings, judgment, limits and needs.

Electronic communication offers none of that whatsoever. It is designed primarily to transfer the vast amounts of informational data points necessary to exert and maintain control over the immense wealth, power, violence and control necessary to rule empires.

This has always entailed the specific goal of intimidating, and eradicating any legitimate competing options.

I can say this simply from the experience of trying to manage this site and write this on my phone.

Over the past four or five days I have lost both my home and place in it. Figuratively and literally.

And while there has been no physical damage, technology is always about permissions and access. To terminals, connections, accounts, storage, bandwidth, carriers, politics, and a myriad of other mediating factors not designed with facilitating individual and very real human interaction.

Things happen in life. Suddenly finding yourself homeless and living from a suitcase. Death, illness, injury, loss, grief, devastation, fear, confusion.. All things that have been with us for 35,000 years. Things that humans know how to heal.

We have an extensive ability to heal and look after one another and it starts with our feelings and heart.

It is in reaching out to one another in fear, hope and above all in goodwill that we start to build connections give us the strength, community and protection we have always needed and used to help one another.

Handwritten correspondence has served us exceptionally well since the dawn of history. And now we are being asked to throw it away and lose it in exchange for an inhuman technology that has no interest in us as humans in any form other than a resource. Most damaging being that if we would like to express ourselves in truly human terms we must somehow debase and adapt them to technical processes with specific requirements designed to strip us of our human identities and stories. The two things that might save us as we move into these dangerous times.

I try to stay away from this end of the story in order to concentrate on our many gifts and talents. The ones that sustain, nurture and help us to heal and grow. For me, this is what underpins my dedication to this project.

It is not that I don’t care, am indifferent, or have lost interest in the project. The reality of trying to manage incowrimo-2020 with a cellphone is non existant. And the solution to this will be occupying the next day or too.

And for those who may be concerned. The data, the ‘information,’ everyone’s contribution.. It is stored independently off-site in isolated and heavily encrypted storage. It’s safe and it will remain there until a solution is found.

I appreciate everyone’s patience there is no reason for this project to disappear.

38 Comments

1. Sibylla says:

I am so sorry about your personal difficulties.i hope things will get better for you soon. Thank you for trying to keep InCoWriMo alive.

• thank you Sibylla. incowrimo seems to have a life of it’s own and like any deeply planted seed is sensing the light of warmer days and shout see fresh sprouts within days.

2. patlandon5 says:

My mailbox is always open.

3. Ally says:

I’m so sorry to hear of your troubles

Take care

4. Andi says:

I’m so sorry about your situation. Let us know how we can help. I’ve seen several offers of assistance with the technology. Please let us know what we can do. This has been a wonderful project, and I appreciate your efforts on this.

5. BabsLouie says:

I am so sorry you are dealing with these issues in your personal life. Your dedication to the InCoWriMo project is truly inspiring, but you need to get yourself in a safe and secure place before you worry about the rest of us. Sending you a virtual hug.

6. Elena says:

Sending good vibes

7. Nancy Olson says:

I don’t know where you are or what has happened, but I do hope you are OK.

• thank you Nancy, it has been a tumultuous time but am old enough to recognize the importance of strapping everything to the deck and weathering the storm. I’m OK and hope you will get a chance to participate this year.

8. fionafish says:

I am more concerned for you than anything else. Is there any way I can help as an individual? Is there anyway we can help as a community?

• thank you Fiona. your concern is greatly appreciated and now that the situation has stabilized somewhat, this will be a question I will be asking myself and others.

9. Laura Moore says:

I am so sorry to hear of your trials. InCoWriMo has become an annual tradition for me, as with so many others. I hope all is on an upswing for you. I would miss InCo if it disappeared, but you must take care of yourself first and foremost. Prayers for you.

• thank you for your prayers Laura. they are much appreciated and seemed to have helped. if you have ever had to keep your head above water in heavy open seas, it is how I felt about this project. I’m pretty committed to seeing it prosper and appreciate your caring thoughts

10. Beth Jensen says:

This site has just today became known to me via The Goulet Pen Company. I am really looking forward to your information. I agree 200% that handwriting is extremely important for the same reasons you have mentioned. St. Francis De Sales in the 1600s, I believe, said the same thing, it is very important to write to people. He is well known for the many letters he wrote. Beth Jensen

• thank you Beth, I hope your disappointment on the unfortunate turn of events this year can be offset by the renewal and relaunch of the project in the coming days.

11. valq80 says:

What a great project. I am looking forward to it. Cheers!

• valq80 says:

Reading all the way through your blog I realized you are going through a tough time. I hope that your circumstances change for the better soon. If I could erase the “Cheers!” I would edit it out. Best regards. Val

• Cheers is just fine. and perfectly acceptable as a reminder and inspiration in any situation. and it is with gratitude and thanks that it’s recieved. hope to see you over the coming months. best regards

• thanks, hope you’re still ready :)

12. Ann says:

Is there anything that loyal participants can help you with? I know many of us would do whatever is in our power to help. Just let us know.

• thank you so much Ann. amazingly, there are times when an effective connection to the internet is not available for the work that needs to be done. one of the reason I have such renewed faith in the handwritten word. I will be trying to answer that question in the coming month and will post about it and remember your comment here. thanks again for the offer.

13. nedraf says:

Good day, wherever you are! I am brand new to this project and was wondering why the promised ability to add my address to 2020 names had not materialized. I know nothing about you at all, but reading this post has opened a small window on the particular human who appears to be behind incowrimo. So sorry for your loss of home and if I have understood correctly, also your computer. I wish you all the best and shall follow the project updates even more closely. Best!

14. Heather Cady says:

I am also willing to help make sure this project continues! Keep us posted.

Best wishes to you.

15. Jen says:

I’m sorry. I just read this post and I just wanted to let you know that I’m sorry for whatever you’re currently going through. Hang in there

16. Andrea says:

Somehow … I didn’t find this till now – and want to offer my … what a paltry word, ‘support’ … but my heartfelt support. This would be my third year participating in your extraordinary project; InCoWriMo has been more than a pleasure – it’s been a transformative force in my life. I want to help. Back in 2018, I looked in vain online for any information about the folks behind this project – an interview, perhaps … finding nothing, I wondered whether the originator wished to maintain true privacy. Privacy being such an endangered resource! Nonetheless … please reach out to me. I’m saddened deeply to hear of your recent troubles, and want to undo some of the aloneness of it. Never having met you, I … I care.

• thank you Andrea, I really appreciate the support. I really want to see this project succeed for much the same reasons. for that reason I’m working really hard to get it back in gear as I suspect it is currently needed as much as it ever will be in this world. I will be reaching out in the near future, and I plan on running for the remainder of the year in recompense and support of these difficult times, not just for me, but for everyone. thanks again.

17. I am patiently waiting for you to return. Sending good vibes that you will find a place to call home soon. If you need help with the site please reach out to me and perhaps I can lend a hand till you are able to get back on your feet. I do enjoy this site so very much.

• thanks Sandra. things have settled quite a bit, some things appear to take longer than others. as things get up and running my eyes are on the lookout for ways to effectively spread things out.

18. len jimenez says:

There is a loyal and caring community out there that you helped to create.
    Please let us know what we can do to assist you.